10 Good Reasons to Read with a Young Child
When I read a book with my child, s/he:
- Sees me as a role model and we become closer.
- Becomes more attentive and more responsible.
- Learns to ask questions and to wait his turn.
- Becomes familiar with her language (sounds, words and sentences).
- Learns to make the connection between the spoken word and the written word. She discovers the direction in which to read and write (top/bottom; left/right).
- Learns where he is in relation to time (past, present and future) and the story (beginning, middle and end).
- Can identify with the character and experience her/his own feelings.
- Develops his imagination and memory.
- Learns to make choices, to predict the rest of the story and to solve problems.
- Discovers the love of reading and is better prepared for school.